About Me

My photo
Travel Afghanistan with me through my experiences, and vision Afghanistan with me through my photos :)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Food!

One of the best parts of going to Afghanistan was that we were always invited to different houses and ate different kinds of food. Most of it was really delicious, and some it made me really sick.

The dastar-khan, is the traditional floor mat that Afghans serve their food on. The biggest difference between Afghan food in Canada and Afghanistan, I found was that they served it differently. The taste was almost identical if not the same. The breads were the one food that tasted significantly different. In Canada, we serve fruits, and dessert seperate from the actual meal. In Afghanistan, everything is served together - which makes it good presentation wise, however, you get too full to eat dessert, then later on when you have room for dessert, they generally don't bring it back out. After dinner, it is just tea and dry fruits.

The ice cream there was delicious as well. It was called sheer-yakh, and another type was Jzhaala. At first it was too heavy and rich for me, but soon I got used to it, and my uncles would drive us out every other night to get some. The best sheer-yakh was the one with Qai-Magh - a type of creamy milk layer that is slowly gathered off the top boiling milk.

Another great food/fruit found only in Afghanistan was the Kharbooza ( green melon ). Because of the heat, they were extremely soft and sweet. Afghans can substitute a meal with kharbooza and delicious fresh and warm Uzbeki bread.

Some of the houses we went to had outdoor fires in which they slow cooked their meals on. That was pretty awesome as well. From the noodle dough to yogurt, everything was home-made.

Here are some pictures of the dinners I went to.


















No comments:

Post a Comment